Christmas at Mom's

Monday, November 29, 2004

2 orders of business

I have our hotel reservations. Tom, Angie, Scott and I will be staying at the Motel 6 in Edison drive. For those of you who need a reminder, Edison Drive is the road that the CMP offices are on. It's right on the outskirts of Augusta/Manchester, and within walking distance of Margarita's. *hic*

Now, on to the food. I will be preparing some casseroles that can be put in the freezer and brought with us on Thursday. Scott also LOVES to bake so there will be plenty of goodies if anyone needs some "energy" (Read: Sugar). We can get groceries at the Shoplift n' Save, which is very close to the hotel, so daily pilgrammages are possible if necessary.

As far as traditions go, let me tell you (or remind you) what usually happens. We usually have lasagna on Christmas eve. I have a great recipe for veggie lasagna that I usually make, it takes absolutely no time, and Heather will be eating (and loving) spinach without even knowing it. Also on Christmas eve, we bake decorated sugar cookies. This is a tradition Mom and Dad started when we were kids, Mom says to keep us calm and busy. I have encouraged (Read: Forced) Mom to comtinue the tradition, even though it is only for me. What can I say, I'm a traditionalist...

For dinner, we usually have ham. I think I can convince Mom I will be able to get the ham on the way - she LOVES sprial ham, but it is so expensive for just the two of us. I'll get the ham and bring it with us. (I need to get it because if she gets it, it will be small, and if I tell her to get a big one, she'll be suspicious. Perhaps I'll just tell her I won it at the Ham Beano.) Side dishes are riced potatoes, peas and crescent rolls. We also usually toast our good fortune with cranberry juice.

That's usually how it goes. Sants gets cookies and a beer when Dad was alive, now he gets Diet Coke.

Keep me updated and let me know if you guys think of anything I should plan for. I can do shopping here and bring groceries on the trip up.

Can you believe we'll be at Mom's in just 24 days?!?

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home